With the cold of winter taking a toll on us it’s nice to wake up to a delicious, filling, and healthy breakfast. The following recipe features the only grain that provides a complete protein, Quinoa, along with a high fiber, low glycemic index grain, oats, which makes it an ideal combination for anyone trying to eat healthier.
- 1 Cup Steel cut/Irish Oats
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 1 can Organic Coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to boil stirring occasionally
3. Once mixture is boiling, cover and turn heat off
4. Let sit overnight
5. In morning divide into 6-8 containers.
NOTE: You can use a slow cooker by adding all ingredients and leaving overnight on high.
1. Place porridge in microwave safe bowl.
2. Heat on high for 2-3 min
3. Add milk, maple syrup, walnuts, or brown sugar and enjoy!
P.S. Steel cut oats are on sale at Bulk Barn until March 17th.